Saturday, June 9, 2012

The Journey with the family,My friend the Monk and Me.

May 6 Sunday 
Southlake Hospital, Newmarket photo on Flickt by Snavy
John busy in the garden getting the awning up and the barbecue out ready for the season to look forward to. I must admit my mind was occupied with thought of the biopsy on Monday but I felt in good spirits. I even indulged and had a Gin and Tonic and tried to focus on the pleasant things in life.

May 7th  biopsy and bone density 

John had his brave face on as we parked the car and made our way to check in identity bracelet on and off we went directed to ultra sound room. The whole thing didn't take too long, they located the lump on the ultra Sound machine and a surgeon made 4 marks and then biopsy was done taking minute sample of tissue, done very gently and taking very little time. I was free and John happy to get back in the car. 
I must admit The Monk kept coming into my mind telling me to relax and breathe calmly, it took a bit of convincing but I managed it and felt I sort of helped the proceedings a little figuring if I was tensed up it would have made the experience worse for me and the folk who had to do the job! 
Arriving home with an ice pack in place and a little company from my Daughter Lisa while John went to a meeting. I even had a call from the hospital to make sure how I was feeling! 

May 16th the Results
The Biopsy confirmed breast Cancer and so at an interview with a nurse lots questions and answers to guide me through the process and my first meeting with the Surgeon. 
John and Lisa were with me  at the interview Lisa armed with a file full of information from my previous bout with cancer,which helped a lot with decision making. He explained options a total mastectomy or a lumpectomy,  I chose the latter being the lesser of two evils!
He put my mind at rest and I was comfortable knowing I was in good hands. the operation would be after a few visits for ultra sound on my abdomen and bone density scan.

We were told a pre op would be 30th May and operation 31st May everything seemed to be on fast track, which although nervous I was grateful too for me and the family.

Thinking  about what would be ahead I realized Ignorance is far from Bliss when it comes to your health.  I realized my Monk said we should control our mind and not the mind control you!
With that thought, I got down to work focusing on "now"  and not what was to come in the near future. that way I could enjoy my time with my family. I had lots of encouragement from them along with advice from my daughter Lisa, my mentor Nel (step daughter in law) who had gone through cancer a few years ago, twice as a matter of fact, a valuable pro, for she was able to answer many question and I was very grateful for her wise information and last but not least my Mate, John (Husband) taxi driver with no tips! 
All ready to cheer me up along the way through each stage. John was extremely complimentary with my new out look and managing to be positive! I was right Chuffed?
To be continued on the next Blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment